One of my favorite marketing buzzwords for 2022 is SoLoMo. This is a combination of Social, Local and Mobile media.
The concept revolves around the idea that customers now consume more content via mobile and trust the opinions of their community (social) around their geographical location (local).
It’s not just a marketing buzzword. SoLoMo represents a fantastic opportunity for businesses to attract more customers, boost sales and improve customer experience.
What Exactly SoLoMo Is
More and more consumers are now making purchased based on reviews and recommendations that they have read on social media. Research shows that over 75% of people will buy a product based on recommendations by someone in their social network.
Most mobile devices use location-based services. There is also a rising trend for consumers to use mobile devices rather than desktops or laptops, even when they are at home. So mobile marketing isn’t just for when someone is out and about and looking for a product.
Research shows that most people buy services and products from businesses within 15 miles of their home. According to Hubspot, 72% of consumers that did a local search visited a store within five miles. So, local doesn’t just mean a small independent coffee shop. Large multi-nationals are also using location-based advertising to drive up sales. Think Starbucks. Geofencing has become a real contender in the local marketing arena.
Also – many people are more open to receiving push messages or promotional SMS messages if the information in them is relevant to them and their location. This opens up a large potential for local business promotion.
Mobile internet use is becoming more popular than sitting at a desktop or laptop computer. And, because SoLoMo is often based on apps, it almost completely removes the need to browse the web.
Here is how mobile apps can be used to drive sales through SoLoMo:
- Advertising. More money is now spent on digital mobile advertising than for desktops. This means that there is a massive potential to boost the online presence of a business.
- Payments. Nowadays, mobile phones have taken on the role of a digital wallet. More and more people are using apps to make payments in-store. I use my mobile phone to pay for purchases in Target and Publix. As a matter of fact, Target even gives me a 5% discount when I use their app to pay.
- Coupons. Coupons can be sent to customers to entice them into the shop, make a purchase, or get a ‘like’ on social media. For example, I get monthly text messages from Bed Bath & Beyond with 20% off coupons. (BTW – I always use them)
- Getting Reviews. We know that consumers rely on review and comments from members of their social network before they make a purchase. A mobile app can offer people an easy way to ask for reviews.
- More sales. Studies show that 4 out of 5 online searches on a mobile device results in a purchase. More people will more readily visit a shop after conducting a search online.
Why SoLoMo is Important for your Business
With the rise in the use of mobile devices, no business can afford to ignore them. SoLoMo is more than just a marketing buzzword. The trends in using social media combined with mobile marketing will continue to grow and become more relevant as time passes. With this in mind, each business has to develop a concrete SoLoMo marketing strategy.